When I think of Laksa, I imagine a bowl of hot steaming, slightly spicy, creamy coconut with a bunch of delicious goodness! There are so many variations out there and it really is a great soup all year round. Normally, I’d use a whole chicken to make my stock and broth, but this time around, I experimented with my ingredients to make a vegan laksa. You can choose to add soy sauce.
I made my veggie stock from scratch using half a cabbage, handful of shiitake mushrooms, 4 medium carrots, half a celery, 1 leek and two onions with the skin on. Be sure to give the veggies a quick rinse and they only need to be roughly chopped. In a stock pot with 6 litres of water, cook for about 4 – 6 hours until it’s reduced to about 4 litres.
2 tbsp sesame oil
3 tbsp curry powder
6 tbsp Vegan laksa paste
6 cups veg stock
1 400ml can coconut milk
1 large head broccoli, chopped
1 zucchini sliced
10 button mushroom quartered
2 large tomato, chopped
toothpick ginger essential oil
1 drop of lemongrass essential oil
toothpick of black pepper essential oil
1 250 tin of sliced bamboo shoots
vermicelli noodle for 6
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 large handful bean sprouts
4 spring onions, sliced
1/2 cup mint leaves
1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves
slices of lime
- Heat the sesame oil in a large wok, and fry the Laksa Paste until it is fragrant.
- Add in the coconut milk and vegetable
stock and stir well.
- Add the tomato, broccoli, zucchini, mushrooms into the mixture, and cook on high until mostly tender; about 5-10 minutes.
- While cooking, place the vermicelli in a bowl of hot water. If you’re using thicker noodles, heat them in a small pan over a medium heat.
- Stir in the brown sugar and essential oils.
- When the noodles are soft and the vegetables are tender, divide the noodles out between the 6 bowls.
- Ladle the soup onto the noodles, diving it between the bowls.
- Top each soup with bean sprouts, spring onions, mint leaves and coriander, and serve with 2 slices of lime.
Vegan Laska Paste
(Makes enough to feed 8)
3 red chillies
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp turmeric
1 white onion, chopped
4 lemongrass stalks, white part only, chopped
3cm piece galangal, peeled and chopped
1 small handful cashew nuts
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 tsp brown sugar
2 tbsp lime juice
- Heat the coriander, paprika, cumin and turmeric in a pan for several minutes until fragrant.
- Place the spices in a blender or food processor with all other ingredients and blend into a fine paste.
- Place into an airtight container, ready for use!